Week 1- New Covenant
If we don’t understand the different covenants, we don’t ‘get’ the Gospel!
Our Bible has been divided ‘OT’ and ‘NT’. Testament (will)= covenant.
Lk 22: 20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.
To fully appreciate Lk 22: 20…
- What is a covenant?
a)In ancient times they were sealed in blood.
- In Some cultures they were primitive
- Gifts were brought, promises made, conditions discussed, sacrifices made.
b)Essentially 4 components:
- Testator (person making it): God
- Heir (person benefiting): man
- Conditions: (O.S.): Faith – grace / Law – works.
- Inheritance: All nations blessed. Eternal life. New heaven and earth
- Covenants through the Bible (Apply above 4 things to X5 covenants)
- Eden (Gen 3:21)
- Noah (Gen 9:8)
- Abraham (Gen 12:1)
- Moses (Ex 24:7; Deut 28)
- David (2 Sam 7)
- Promise of NEW COVENANT…..
Jer 31: 31 “The time is coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. 32 It will not be like the covenant I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,’” declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people. 34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”
- New Covenant contrasted with Law Covenant…
2 Co 3:7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was,8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness!
- The NEW COVENANT is called superior…
- In what way is the NC superior?
Jesus is the fulfilment of 1) OT laws, 2) feasts and 3) sacrifices.
OT Laws and rituals:
Mat 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
– Big 10 plus hundreds of others!
Lev 23: 1 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘These are my appointed feasts, the appointed feasts of the Lord, which you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies.
- Passover [In the New Testament we see this was a picture of the crucifixion];
- Unleavened bread [In the New Testament we see this was a picture of last supper];
- Firstfruits [In the New Testament we see this was a picture of resurrection];
- Pentecost [In the New Testament we see this was a picture of Acts 2:1-];
- Tabernacles [In the New Testament we see this was a picture of coming messiah– first and second coming].
OT Sacrifices (Leviticus)
- Burnt offering
- Thanksgiving offering
- Sin sacrifice
- Trespass sacrifice
- Daily burnt sacrifice
In the New Testament we see this was a picture of Christ’s sacrifice.
Hebrews 10:1 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming–not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.
Col 2: 13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having cancelled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ
If we don’t correctly divide the ‘inferior’ from the ‘superior’ we run into bad Bible interpretation…
- Don’t eat this (pork). You have to observe certain days (ie., Sabbath)
- Religion is rife with such observances!
- Apply passages of condemnation out of context and fear ‘curses’.
- We begin operating on “condition” of ‘works’ and not grace by faith
- Reason why Jesus complimented the Syrophonecian and Roman Centurion!
Reading the New Testament (especially Hebrews) portays clearly how Jesus covenant is a superior covenant:
CONTRAST OC – NC
- Demands… Provides
- Blessing depends on our performance… Blessing depends on Christ’s performance
- “You must”… “I will”
- “You must not” (touch leper)… “Heal the sick”
- Remembrance of sin … No remembrance
- Inferior… superior
- Ministry of death … Ministry of life
- Condemnation … “Never be angry” (Is 54:9)
- Curses pronounced for disobedience… curses removed due to Christ’s obedience.
If we don’t understand the different covenants, we don’t ‘get’ the Gospel