Week 3 -Prayer
TOPIC: PRAYER (Week 3) SPIRITUAL WARFARE.
Note to Life Group facilitators:
- Remember, the teaching side of Life Group is only 50% of the evenings activity. The other half is for connecting and hearing from each other. Keep the teaching side down to 30 minutes, so that you can have +- 20 minutes for interaction and dialogue (This interaction can/should take place during the teaching to keep it interactive and not merely monologue. Your role is to keep the subject on track:-)
- At some point in the meeting, remind people what the “PURPOSE” is for the teaching these Topics in Equipping for Discipleship 2018.
- Ask if they remembered to pray for those people whose names they wrote down at the beginning of the year?
- In the attached teaching notes, don’t try read every corresponding verse. Use the practical discussion below to direct the conversation
- Remember, the notes of this series can be found at www.highway.org.za
PRACTICAL DISCUSION FOR LIFEGROUP
The book of Ephesians is a letter Paul writes to the Saints and those Faithful in Christ (that’s us). He emphasises our authority, who we are in Christ, our inheritance as believers, he prays for our Spiritual growth and begs us to lead a life worthy of the calling and walking as children of the light. He discusses our relationships – Husbands and wives, parents and children, employers and employees and a final word of Be strong in the Lord – put on the full Armour.
- Discuss what comes before the Finally, brethren, be strong in the Lord in Ephesians 6:10
- Discuss the words inheritance, positioned in High places, being dead and now alive in Christ, what it means to be an Ambassador of Heaven. Does everyone understand their authority and why it is so important in every aspect of life to walk as an Ambassador of God?
- Pray is a powerful weapon. Praying the word of God over your circumstances is even more powerful.
Life can be difficult and I am certain there are members of your LG that are facing some serious challenges – Jesus assures us we will have trouble BUT to take heart and have peace in our circumstances for He has overcome the world.
- Pray with your LG Gods word.
Steve’s most recent blog dealt specifically with praying against certain “mountains in our life” – it is worth revisiting his blog and praying according to what he has said. Those are examples of praying from a position of authority.
You can also go on Joseph Princes site https://www.josephprince.org/blog/gods-promises and download scriptures – The Word of God is living and active. If you confess the Word of God over your heart and life, it will not return void. Encourage your group to meditate on these confessions of faith! He has categorised theses verses as Faith; Favour; Health and Healing; Provision; Protection and Righteousness.
Be blessed mighty warriors.
You tube clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9K7fueW4Bk (2min 47secs)
Nature of the attack
Read Ephesians 6:11-12 (NIV)
First and foremost, you need to understand that when you come under attack that it is spiritual in source and nature. Many times, we are tempted to look at the circumstances or people and view them as the enemy. They may be tools of the enemy but the enemy is spiritual in nature, not physical.
Who is our enemy?
The Bible tells us some things about our enemy:
- John 10:10 – Thief
- Ephesians 6:11-12 (NIV) – 11 the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
1 Peter 5:7-10 (NIV) – Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
- Rev 12:10 -For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.
- Ephesians 2:2 Devil – the commander of the powers of the unseen world.
- Some of his weapons include -deception, guilt, shame, condemnation
- Some evil spirits – spirits of infirmity (by His stripes we were healed), spirit of poverty (Though He was rich, yet for my sake He became poor so that I through His poverty may be rich), spirit of heaviness (put on a garment of praise)
God has predestined us for success through what Jesus did – therefore empowering us to pray with Authority
Read the first 2 chapters of Ephesians and see below some of the truths about your Identity.
- To the Saints and Faithful in Christ (vs 1)
- Equipped through Christ with EVERY spiritual blessing (vs 3).
- Chosen in Him before the foundations of the world (vs 3)
- Regarded as ‘Holy and Blameless before Him (vs 4)
- Adopted through the “kind intention of His will” (vs 5)
- Redeemed and forgiven “lavished” with grace (vs 7-8)
- Recipients of a glorious inheritance in heaven (vs 11)
- Secured forever by “the Holy Spirit of promise” (vs 13-14)
Ephesians 1:15- Paul prays: –
- Praying that we would receive a “spirit of wisdom” from the Father (vs 17)
- Be enlightened to grasp the “hope His calling”
- Recognise the riches of the “glory of His inheritance” (vs 18)
- Know the “surpassing greatness of His power towards us” (vs 19)
- Realise we are “seated with Him in heavenly places” (vs 20)
- And even though we were “dead” He has given us life (vs 2:5)
- Seated with Christ in the Heavenly realms (2:6)
This list goes on and on about who we are when we believe we are united in Christ.
The TRUTH shall set you free!
- This is written proof of what God has already done in us, what He has created us and called us and empowered us into becoming – we co-operate with Him when we stamp these truths repeatedly into our hearts. Then we access them and speak them over our lives when the enemy comes at us through everyday experiences.
- We need to pray to keep the truth about our real identity in constant, unbroken focus before us.
- Through the eyes of Truth (Jesus said I am the Way the Truth and the Life – John 14-6) – not through human standards
- Know the truth and the truth shall set you free – John 8:31-32.
- True worshippers worship in Spirit and in Truth – John 4:23-24.
- One of the pieces of spiritual armour centres on this issue of Truth. – The Belt of TRUTH.
- Truth- Gods standard and viewpoint about us must come first in our hearts and minds if we want to be effective in battle against the enemy.
- We are Ambassadors of Heaven – 2 Cor 5:16-21
Use Spiritual Weapons against the Attack
- 2 Cor. 10:3-6
- We need to understand that the weapons of our warfare are not physical but spiritual.
- These weapons are prayer (includes worship; praise and tongues), fasting, and the word of God.
- 1 Cor 14:18 Paul said I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.
- God’s word is sharper than a 2-edged sword Hebrews 4:12 New King James Version (NKJV)
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- You need to understand that the enemy of our souls has an intense hatred for anyone that will follow Jesus wholeheartedly. He will not just lay over like a beat dog and expose his neck at the first sign of battle. He goes around as a roaring lion not a whipped puppy. (1 Peter 5:8) He is looking to devour you.
- “Time in His presence is the key to a victorious life – make some time each day – get some coffee / tea / find a quiet place and spend some time in your Daddy’s presence and let Him transform your life and ensure you are ready to be flooded by His goodness today!
KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!